Online Map

Thursday, November 26, 2009

One more tweak before blazing!

Well it's high time I finish up the Gussy Trail so that I can move on to bigger and better things. I recently joined the town's Trail Committee and going to look at building an extension or feeder trail to the Gussy on some nearby, town open space. I am also looking at helping someone built a trail on some state land, also in Newtown, and if that isn't enough making an extension to the CT NEMBA's Rock & Roll Trail so that it links up with the Blue Trail that goes into South Pond.

As for the Gussy, it's high time I get out and blaze the trail because I am getting complaints from visitors that they can't find the trail to start or once on it, they can't follow it. I guess these riders shouldn't try riding the trails at Nassahegen then because they will be in for a shock.

Wednesday's ride was really fun because I rode up the trail on my Single Speed for the first time and I think I am going to start riding it this way more often because it certainly gives you a different perspective. The short climb past the armoring, that Tren and I did this spring, has been bugging me since day one and I think I have it figured out now.

When you pass through the two pines there is a nice swale with maybe a 3% slope heading up to a little hillock above the trail. On the other side of the hillock it's really flat with some nice rocks that could be fun to roll off of - kind of like a miniature golf course, only for bikes.

Going the opposite direction, I want to bring the trail through the two pines and then cut diagonally across the lower swale and bring the trail around the little basin to meet up with the existing trail right at the start of the bypass for the horses. Hopefully, I'll be able to move that tree to create a nice skinny and use some of the pieces Tom cut up as an up-and-over or an elevated corduroy.


No comments: